Sunday, August 13, 2006

Ole!

After a month of sketching, discussing, cutting and stitching, I have finally finished this custom skirt. A nice young lady posted a request on Etsy for a custom made Gothic Layered Skirt. Many answered the call, but after wooing her with tales of my sewing skills, I won the bid.

Following the excitement, worry quickly set in. I know that I am a talented seamstress/designer, but I have never tackled a project so large without a pattern or some sort of guided instruction. And this skirt is large! Over 5 yards of dark hued fabric, lace and scraps were fashioned into 42 individual panels that were then gathered and attached to an underskirt. The triple tiers and abundance of fabric remind me of Spanish Flamenco dancer, hence the name. I also made a miniskirt in the same style with some of the leftover fabric. This flirty little skirt would look cute over leggings or if daring, could be worn alone. It alsos double as a shawl/ capelet.

This project was a lot of work, but the end result definitely justifies the means. I love this skirt and am a bit sad to send it off to my client. My designs are like my children. At some point they must go off into the world. I hope that the buyer treasures this skirt for many years. In the meantime, I am already planning to make another one sans the skulls and spidreweb lace because this one will be for me!

***If you would like to request something similiar, feel free to contact me. For additional information, you can also check out my shop on Etsy at http://kelliope.etsy.com.***

No comments: